Military Family Law in Kitsap County, WA

Military Family Law in Kitsap County, WA

If you’re in the armed forces and you’re going through a divorce, reach out to an attorney that specializes in military family law in Kitsap County, Washington.

Some things never change, no matter what your walk of life. Whether you’re in the military or you’re just a civilian, you have to provide for your children. And, if you’re divorced, you may have to pay child support. Child support and child custody are just as important in military life as they are in civilian life, but there are a few differences to keep in mind while you negotiate the terms of your divorce.

And one of the biggest differences when it comes to military divorce? Deployment, reassignment, and constantly being moved around. Joint custody is much easier if both parents are living in the same town – a rare luxury for armed service members. Instead, a military parent might be the supporting parent in a lopsided child support arrangement.

Child Custody and Military Parents

If joint custody is impossible, the only option left is to reach an agreement about child support. In these cases, there are two different parties to keep in mind: the receiving parent, and the supporting parent. A receiving parent is responsible for raising the child (or children). They’ll have to provide shelter, food, clothing – and they’ll have to take the kids to school and doctor’s appointments, too. The supporting parent is instead responsible for contributing financial support (child support) and will have visitation rights, to be determined by the divorce proceedings.

If you’re in the military and you’re going through a divorce, you’ll have to pay child support even as the divorce proceedings are unfolding. This is called interim child support, and once the divorce is finalized, you’re definitely not out of the woods. You’ll have to make regular payments to your ex-spouse until your youngest child turns eighteen – or nineteen if they haven’t graduated high school yet. Hopefully you’ve read up on military family law in Kitsap County, WA.

Paying Child Support if You’re in the Military

You may think you can get out of paying child support if you’re on the other side of the world, but that’s sadly not the case. In fact, your commanding officer may even punish you for failing to provide for your child or children. If your ex-spouse is the receiving parent and he or she provides evidence that you have been failing to make your child support payments (and evidence that there was a child support arrangement in the first place) your CO can punish you by assigning extra duty, reducing your pay, or even reducing your rank. Your CO can’t, however, force you to pay up.

If you still fail to pay your child support, your ex-spouse will find a way to get your money through legal means. Contrary to popular belief, your wages aren’t secure if you’re in the military. While ordinarily, military wages are exempt from garnishment – the act of taking money from paychecks to collect on debts – the rule doesn’t apply to child support payments. Your ex, through legal means, can actually collect his or her child support money out of your paychecks before you even see a cent. And it happens all the time.

Contact Robinson & Hadeed Today

If you’re in the military, you have plenty on your plate to deal with already. If you’re suddenly thrown into divorce proceedings unprepared, a demanding and vindictive ex-spouse can make your life a living hell, and might take as much money as possible from you. Instead of being at his or her mercy, reach out to Robinson & Hadeed, and let a qualified attorney who specializes in military family law in Kitsap County, WA take steps to protect your future.